We're Moving On Up!

The buzz around the house the last couple of days is that we are moving to Chicago. Of course it is dictated by the steel plant closing down in Buffalo and my wife's opportunity to relocate under the shutdown plan.

I find the overall dynamic to be interesting. The kids are ready to go, fired up about a possible adventure in a land unknown. They see Chicago as a sort of graceland with endless possibilities of excitement and fun. They are already looking at the schedules of the Bears, the Bulls, the Cubs, and the White Sox. Little do they know that we live about a mile from Ralph Wilson Stadium and that I wouldn't go to a Bills game unless someone paid me my hourly wage.

My wife, of course, is fueling the debate, realizing that it is fun to dream, and responsible to keep all options open - she has been seriously scanning the Internet for available housing.

"There's a big house with a nice backyard for the dogs, and a basketball court," Sam told me excitedly.

Uh, we have all of those things.

"People are actually working and living and having fun in Chicago, Buffalo is dead," Jake reminded me.

There is also endless traffic, millions of people fighting for space, and a whole new world that we know little about.

"There's a chance to double your salary, and more options for the kids to get an education. The taxes are lower, and beer flows from the faucets all day long," Kathy tried.

And there is starting over, and moving, and meeting new people, and working for new bosses, and the cost of living is higher, and the freaking people - too many freaking people!

I'm like that Johnny Cash song - "I've been everywhere" - I've been to California, Baltimore, Florida, Chicago, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Ohio, Canada, Nebraska, Iowa, North Dakota, Minnesota, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, DC, Georgia - and every place in between - and through it all - through all of the extended stays - I've always returned to Buffalo, and it is in the top ten biggest shitholes I've ever been!

Why did I always return? Not the Bills - not the Sabres - not the chance to make an endless supply of money - and not for the snow or unbearably long winters.

Actually, I don't know why.

"There's a golf course real close to the house we looked at," Kathy said.

And there's no one there to play with - no Popple, no Cataldo, no brothers, or Renaldo, no Mom, no Dad, no sisters, no friends.

Ah, now I know why I've always come back.

Stay tuned - we'll keep you posted.

Comments

Rosie said…
Is Complacency a bad thing?
deafjeff said…
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Believe it or not, the bubble expands beyond Buffalo, but the ache to go back never really leaves. You had to throw that second to last paragraph in, huh? Thanks, I'll be crying all day. :-)
John said…
And I thought driving out to Eagle Crest to play golf was far! Find a course in the windy city and I'll make the trip. Good luck in your decision.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie