Murcer Dies

Just two simple words on the CBS Sportsline header. Bobby Murcer was a longtime Yankee and a decent human being and he gets two words - Murcer dies. That's two more than most people get, however.

Let's look at Murcer though - for one - he gave me a dip of Skoal. I was 18 or 19 years old and had just watched the Yankees win in Cleveland - Ron Guidry threw a two-hitter and the mood outside the Yankee locker room was festive. Back in those days, you could wait by the door to the locker room and the players would file out on the way to the bus. That particular Saturday evening, the bus was late, and so the Yankees had to wait to board. My brother and I were among a handful of fans that got to meet the players.

I spent twenty minutes talking with Guidry. My brother got autographs of Winfield and others. And then Bobby Murcer emerged with a can of Skoal in his hand - getting ready to take a fresh chew. I asked him for one. "You're too young," he said.

I showed him my own can of Skoal - "Why do you want one from me?" he asked.
"Because you're Bobby Murcer," I said.
He flipped it to me and I took a chew and flipped it back.

I remembered that every time that I saw him do a Yankee broadcast. I also remembered it when I saw that he was giving a lot of time and money to an Oklahoma Children's Cancer Facility. Doctors, nurses, and children spoke of his positive influence and the willingness he and his wife had to give something back. Murcer died of cancer as did his brother before him. The pediatric facility in Oklahoma is graced with his name.

Perhaps just two words are not enough, but then again, he left a mark that was far greater than just recognition for hitting a ball. The negative aspects of athletes lives are gone over and over in the media - we certainly know more about Michael Vick's pit bulls then we do about Murcer's cancer facility, but I took this post to give a true Yankee more than just a couple of words.

Bobby Murcer died at the age of 62 - too young - but he did leave a positive mark - and isn't that what all of us are trying to do?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie