Hard Times For An Honest Man

George Bush's approval rating is 17%. How can that be? Is his family that big? Are people living under a rock? Who are these people? What are the redeeming factors? Still want to have a beer with him?

I have a lot of friends who voted for W both times around. I have been in long, drawn-out arguments about going to Iraq, staying in Iraq, keeping terrorists in and kicking terrorists out - and I must admit, I love a good debate. Yet can we debate this any longer?

In the first term his mistakes were deemed left over mistakes made by Clinton - okay - whatever. Monica plays the harmonica and life goes to hell.

This term the mistakes are because Congress won't cooperate. Okay - solid point too.

Yet where is the leadership? Why was he so hamstrung for so long? Wrong man for the job?

A lot of people who voted for him now claim not to have - or say - what choice was there? I don't know, but we made the wrong one in 2004.

I bring this all to light because I was speaking with a 22-year-old drywall installer today. "I get up, fill my gas tank, drive to work, get paid and fill my tank again. I give my mother $50 a month to stay at home, but I've been short lately. I'll never get out of my parents' home."

That little conversation saddened me - I have 3 kids all of whom are going to want to find their own way - this kid feels painted in a corner and before you dismiss him as just a laborer - remember that people used to feed their families busting their ass, getting covered in drywall dust, and working hard.

Hard work is not enough anymore?

17% approval?

Come on!

Comments

deafjeff said…
I need a $1 an hour raise just to afford the difference in gas prices from last year.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie