It's Not Your World

When Jake was young, his standard line to bitch and moan about an injustice was to remind the offending party - "It's Not Your World."

I thought of that today when I stopped to get a newspaper. It was early in the morning, of course, and I opened my car door, but then remembered that I had the exact change in my ashtray. I reached back across and grabbed the quarters - it took me all of five seconds. I got out of the car just in time to get an annoyed glance from a woman driver who - with a full parking lot all around - was trying to park right next to me.

"Thanks for closing your door," she said, smartly.

"Good morning to you," I answered. I made like she wasn't even in the least bit annoyed with me. "Looks like it'll be sunny all day."

I even held the door for her and she thanked me. What I really wanted to tell her is - "It's Not Your World."

Because I held the door for her- I had to wait for a good seven minutes as she cashed in lottery tickets and bought new tickets for the upcoming drawings. She glanced and saw that I just had a paper, but she must have thought that it was her world because she made me wait.

Finally she completed her lengthy transaction, moved just about an inch so that I could pay for my paper as she scratched a ticket. I finished my transaction, and turned. Evidently, she was looking for another ticket because she just mindlessly turned right into me. I nearly dropped my paper and she nearly lost her balance. It was her turn that caused the collision, but she huffed and puffed and gave it to me - "You going to be in the way all day?" she asked snidely.

I couldn't help it. "It's Not Your World," I said.

"What?" she asked.

"Enjoy the sunshine," I said.

I held the door for her on the way out. She jumped in her car and raced away - God, I hope she won the lottery.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie