Excuse Me While I Contradict Myself

Isn't life confusing? Opinions can be changed on a daily basis, and in this day of being labeled as this or that, we must learn to stick to our beliefs, but can we, really? Who should we vote for? Who's the best man for the job? What way do you lean to the left or the right?

I saw a story today about a man who beat a newborn baby. All of my life, I've been against any form of capital punishment as a sort of two-wrongs-don't-make-it-right sort of stand. Yet I couldn't read the entire article due to the disdain I felt for that cowardly man. He was sentenced to prison, but is it enough? It messes with my head.

I was taught to appreciate life from conception to the grave and beyond - yet - given my live and let live stance, do I have the right to tell anyone what they can do? Do I believe in pro-choice when I don't believe in abortion? I am live and let live - wouldn't tattoo my body, but appreciate your right to do so.

Should we fight the terrorists to defend the honor of the country? Put that way - of course - do I not believe in the cause because I feel we are fighting in the wrong location? I waver from time-to-time.

As an American - I believe in standing tall and I feel a tremendous surge of pride when I think of all that we have accomplished in our history - Yet am I a bad guy for being ashamed about the abuse of human rights when it comes to torturing prisoners? I have no idea.

There was a time when I considered that I was a bleeding heart liberal - not so sure if I honestly believe that taxpayer dollars should go to rehab someone who doesn't want to even try to earn their own way? No blood in that stance.

I don't want illegal immigrants crossing the border and taking over the country, but I believe in human rights and consider that America has always been home to those looking to make their way. Any thought on what I should believe there?

There is a saint and a sinner residing in all of us - and while hypocrite used to be such a big word to me - it doesn't mean anything now. I hate to say that I'm absolutely cynical about everyone and everything, but over the course of the past ten years - going back to the Clinton deposition - and all the way through today - I am real unsure about what to believe.

What it all comes down to, I suppose, is not being labeled as a this or that. Do you believe in censorship? Immigration? Abortion? War? Capital Punishment? Gay Marriage? Welfare? Torture?

It should come down to a case-by-case, I changed my mind before I made up my mind basis, but in the end perhaps we need to strip away the labels and vote or not vote for the men and the issues. What we need to teach our children is to keep all options open, be thoughtful, and curious, and not to close the mind because one way or another tells us how to behave.

My wife ought to have a good laugh over that last line because there are moments when I've been accused of being closed-minded, but I do try and divide the truth from the lies - the problem being it is getting so much harder to find the line separating the two.

Comments

John said…
Is it even possible that the man I have known lo these many years is not the man of extremes I once knew. What do you think about teaching Jesus Christ as an historical figure in the public schools? Wavering on that one too? Let's sit on the deck with a cold one and calmly discuss it. Or is it the rules for poker when you need jacks or better to open? I'm sure you still have some strong opinions left (or are they right?).
Rosie said…
well done buddy, well done. Sorry I called you out on this one. Good to see you're maturing

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie