State of the Yankees

My Lord, when the Yankees struggle every person I know comes out of the woodwork to take a shot at me.

Meanwhile, bad stretches happen to every team…every year.

I have a great memory.

I recall how I felt when they were down 14.5 games in July of 1978. There wasn’t a way to back into a wild card spot in those days. If they wanted to win the World Series they had to run down the Red Sux.

They did, of course, but I recall how hopeless I felt that summer.

20 years later they went off. They had won the series in ‘96 but got beat in the playoffs in ‘97. 

They had something to prove in ‘98 and just ran away and hid. They were on pace to win 125 games and then September started and they went into an epic tailspin. I recall a long losing streak and winning like 2 of 15 or some such nonsense.

They only lost 2 playoff games and swept the World Series that year.

Everything was going swimmingly this year until a couple of weeks ago. Injuries, bad starting pitching and cold bats have made it a rough stretch.

I received at least a dozen texts after Friday’s loss and Saturday’s game.

“What’s wrong with YOUR Yankees?”

I don’t know!!!

It happens!!

On Saturday afternoon, I begrudgingly put the game on and Devers hit a homer to put Boston up 4-3.

So aggravating…

…and then, as though a switch were flipped, the Yankees put 11 on the board.

A 14-4 win and the texts dried up.

At least for a little while.

Life is better when the Yankees win.

If - by chance - they lose - don’t call me, text me or send me an instant message.

The season is long.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie

Eyes on the Horizon