Fireworks

I’m not a fan of fireworks.

I never really cared about them even as a kid.

As an adult I hate them because they make my pets uncomfortable.

Ollie jumped out of his skin because one of my moron neighbors tossed a couple of M-80’s into the air.

Yet there is a family in South Carolina that probably hates fireworks more than me because the father of the family put a firework on his head.

Then lit it.

The man died an hour later of massive head wounds.

His wife explained that the incident happened around 11 p.m. and the man had been drinking heavily since the block party started around six.

“I told him to stop fooling around,” the wife said.

I’m sure he wasn’t the only guy who lost his life. Even more people lost digits.

Senseless?

I’m not quite sure when it became legal for every person in the country to put on a fireworks show.

When I was a kid the firework celebration was confined to the big event at the town park.

I wasn’t sure who was responsible for putting on the show, but they did it safely as far as I can recall.

Fireworks were illegal to purchase by the average Joe - if I remember right.

Not anymore!

There are displays of fireworks in convenience stores all across the land.

All neighborhoods are alive with the booms, blasts and explosions that kill and maim the drunk bastards out there having fun pissing off my cat and dog.

Yeah.

I’m the old man yelling at everyone to get off my lawn, but shouldn’t some things be regulated to keep people from destroying themselves?

I am a safety dude after all.

The other thing is that the setting off of the fireworks aren’t confined to just the 4th.

It seems that the blasts and booms begin around June 1st and run through the middle of August.

All right, I’m done complaining.

Nothing to lose your head over…

…unless you’re showing off for your friends and neighbors.

Imagine that.

A family lost their father because he placed a live firework on his head and lit it.

Shake my damn head.

‘Merica.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie

Eyes on the Horizon