Historical

The funny thing about history is that you don’t know you’re living it until some time passes by.

I have certainly lived through some historic events. I distinctly recall Mom making us sit and watch the Moon landing - I was 4 years old - and I was pissed because Mom was MAKING us watch it!

I wanted to play, or read!

I know where I was when the Challenger exploded in 1986. A deli near my apartment at college. I’d never seen a shuttle blast off.

“There’s an awful lot of smoke and fire,” I said.

“It blew up, you dumb bastard,” the guy behind the counter said.

There was Orenthal - those days, weeks and months are all memorable.

Yet, think of the last two weeks.

- a weird assassination attempt that will never be anything but murky.

- The president drops out of the race.

- a V.P. pick of a man who called the wanna’ be President ‘Hitler’ and the choice being made because ‘He likes me a lot so I chose him.’

Weird stuff.

And I often wonder how history will treat all that has happened in the last 8 years.

Future generations will wonder…as my kids do now…why anyone even entertained some of the garbage being spewed.

“I don’t understand how you all ever believed he was anything but a con man,” Jake said to me. “What’s the matter with people your age?”

That question made me wonder about how history will mark this time.

As a joke, I suppose.

World War II and the rise and fall of Hitler wasn’t all that long ago. You wonder how history repeated itself so quickly, but I do remember raising my hand in 10th grade history class asking:

“How did the Germans fall for it?”

The teacher shrugged.

I don’t wonder anymore.

Historical.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie

Eyes on the Horizon