Eyes on the Horizon Review

It’s always strange for me when someone I know tells me that they read my books and it’s weird for them because they think of me as they’re reading the story.

I didn’t quite grasp what they meant, and hoped that they’d get caught up in the story and not me.

I kind of get what they’re saying now because I just finished reading my sister Carrie Lynn’s excellent first book, ‘Eyes on the Horizon’.

Now, I had read the story a long while ago, but a whole lot of work went into the end product.

As a writer, I always try and guess along with the author because I can see the plot lines, and I’m often critical of plot lines that come out of nowhere as the author tries to unpaint the corner he’s stuck in.

There was none of that in ‘Eyes on the Horizon’!

I didn’t have any moments of, ‘Come on, now, that doesn’t work!’

I caught all the subtle lines that we shared in conversations and I was proud that Carrie defined her characters clearly and used them to propel the story forward.

I’ve also coached her a little on this part of the ride. Enjoying all of it is the goal, and I know for sure that Carrie is going to achieve the ‘runners high’ of finishing a story and have the achievement felt by those who read the story and loved it.

As for the work itself, Carrie pulled off a tough assignment:

Her main character was both the protagonist and the antagonist of the story. 

That’s no easy feat because as an author you run the risk of alienating your reader by painting your character as an asshole, before trying to show the growth.

Carrie did that expertly and like I said, it isn’t easy. I wrote in a similar vein with ‘Blindspot’…

…using a group of characters who have stayed in my heart for years.

As the story moved along, I tried to guess along a little as to how it could reach a conclusion that would be believable and not rushed.

I’ve rushed an ending or two in my day, (saved by some good editors) and it’s a trap that a lot of authors fall into.

The subject matter is about working your way through loss - a subject that all of us who live long enough - must face.

And I kept thinking of a perfect line in an old classic tune written by Glen Campbell.

“They’ll be a load of compromising on the road to my horizon, but I’m going to be where the lights are shining on me.”

(Like a Rhinestone Cowboy, of course).

The main character did a load of compromising to keep her eyes on the horizon…

…and it all worked!

A great book that you will read quickly enough, but one that will certainly make you think and do your own personal inventory on the compromising necessary to navigate life’s rough roads.

I also enjoyed reading a book written by someone I know so I hope that mine feels that way for my family and friends.

Finally, I asked Carrie if she felt any sort of let-down when it was finally done…

…I’ve never finished one on a high note…

…I always feel drained and depressed about saying goodbye to my friends who were the characters I lived with for such a long time.

“I moved to the next story,” Carrie said.

Which is the only way over that depressing moment.

I have stockpiled a vault filled with material that I will work on getting out…

…in an effort to keep the writing rock rolling down the hill.

And it does my heart good to know that Carrie is now on that journey…

…and that she will never be able to get off the ride.

She found her voice and it’s a voice that deserves a wide audience!

‘Eyes on the Horizon’

Go get it!

You can’t borrow my copy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie