No Urgency

I completed my 5th straight day off of work.

Well, kind of.

There have been tasks involved in the upcoming new job - it’s called onboarding - been a long, long time since I started a new job - life has changed.

Every day, I’ve received packages at the door and email instructions to sign up.

Yesterday morning, I had to find a place where I could drop off my I.D.’s to verify it’s me.

The appointment was for 9:10 and it was the only thing on the agenda.

I handled it like an old, retired guy, arriving 15 minutes early, worried about getting stuck in a line.

And the thing about it, is that I have received a few work calls, but my clients know the deal. I can’t visit this week. There was no urgency involved in picking up the call.

The best part?

On Sunday I played golf and said:

“I haven’t looked at my phone once.”

I dug in the cart and it wasn’t even there! I’d left it in the car!!

Might be the longest I’ve gone without looking at a screen in about 15 years.

It gave me an idea.

I have left the phone in the house when I’ve worked in the yard.

I haven’t returned calls.

I’ve hardly texted anyone.

I certainly ain’t reading the news, and the Yankees are slumping so I even switched them off and went to reruns of ‘The Middle.’

I haven’t really grabbed much more sleep time - latest I’ve slept so far is 6:30 but that would probably change if I was off longer than what this will be.

The mindset changes a little though when you don’t feel as if you have to be on-call from sunup to sundown.

And of course, there’s been plenty of reading - holding a real book and quite a bit of writing too.

But I enjoy that stuff.

Also, yesterday was the 28th anniversary of my tearing of my Achilles tendon - which might have been the last time I took a long timeout.

This break has been better.

Now we are at Independence Day - 248 years of freedom - and it seems we are teetering on the brink…

…that gives me great pause…

…but I’ll worry about it next week.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie