We Tried

Harvest Hill golf course is one of my favorite places on Earth.

I feel comfortable there, checking the sight lines from the first tee. I often take deep breaths and long looks around.

We set a tee time for 11:30 on Sunday morning and the weather app told us that we’d be able to play the round as rain wasn’t expected until around 5;00.

Best laid plans.

I hit that first tee down the middle. In fact, most were true shots despite not playing for close to two months.

The putter was another story…

…but I went from being happy and free to wet, cold and filthy inside of twenty minutes.

The rain was steady. The club turned in my hand on 9, and on 10, I made horrible decision to look for golf balls near the stream.

My left foot went in to the top of my sock.

I didn’t have a windbreaker so the constant rain turned my shirt and my shorts into a bathing suit.

And still we tried to make par on greens that were slowed down considerably.

I grabbed the nearest towel and wiped off my spikes.

“You moron! I’m keeping the seat dry with that towel!”

By the time we finished 12…

…a hole that started promisingly enough but ended up with missed putts all around…

…we were done.

We hid underneath an overhang for a moment and Chris turned to look at me:

“It looks like you fell into a river,” he said.

“We tried,” I said.

And just like that…

…I went from the happiest place on Earth to cold, soaked and filthy.

I’ll tell you one thing:

I’ve had enough grey and rain and mud.

But my swing appears to be okay.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie