Right on Time

I don’t like listening to baseball talk after a Yankees loss - they had lost a couple in a row - I had no intention of listening to the doomsday talk…

…so I went to music and shuffled my 2,000 songs, not looking at what was coming up.

I heard the first note of Mellencamp’s ‘Minutes to Memories’ and checked to make sure I was on cruise control because I got two speeding tickets to my name listening to that particular song.

I then turned it up to the max.

“Days turn to minutes and minutes to memories, life sweeps away the dreams that we had planned, you are young and you are the future, so suck it up, and tough it out, and be the best you can.”

If that’s not enough he screams the closing verse:

“Another hot one out on highway 11, this is my life and what I’ve chosen to do. There’s no free rides, no one said it’d be easy, and my old man told me this, my son, I’m telling it to you…

…days turn to minutes and minutes to memories. Life sweeps away the dreams that we had planned. You are young and you are the future, so suck it up, and tough it out and be the best you can.”

I feel as fired up by those words as I did about 40 years ago…

…when I was a young man, needing to hear that advice, and now…

…I’m the older man…

…doling out that advice.

And the minutes certainly have turned to memories.

And I did the best I could!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie