Fifty Years Ago

April 8th is a day on the calendar where I have a single thought when I see the date.

Hammerin’ Hank.

On April 8, 1974, I was a very excited 9-year old boy.

We were living in Largo, Florida at the time and I was about 4 inches from the television screen when Aaron came up and hammered a pitch from Al Downing of the Dodgers that cleared the left-centerfield wall and ended up being retrieved by Braves pitcher, Tom House.

It was the 715th homer of Aaron’s great career, eclipsing (you see what I did there) Babe Ruth’s all-time record.

I still consider Aaron to be the king, and it galls me to no end when people talk about letting the cheaters into the Hall of Fame.

Aaron went through hell in breaking that record because he was black.

It’s amazing to me how the mind works.

I have an image of that living room in my head whenever I consider that night.

I know where Dad was seated, and my brother, John, was just as excited as me.

A great memory.

Cherished one.

April 8th won’t be remembered as the eclipse date.

It will always be Henry Aaron day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie