Rooting for Laundry

Jerry Seinfeld did a routine - a long time ago - about how weird sports fanatics are.

I thought about it yesterday as NFL free agency hit and players moved to new locations.

The Bills lost Gabe Davis and Leonard Floyd to new teams. They were players that my boys rooted for week in and week out.

“Lost Gabe, huh?” I asked Jake. “You going to root for him next year now that he’s in Jacksonville?”

“Of course not,” Jake said, looking at me as if I spouted a 3rd eye.

And of course, I’ve had some trouble with this in the past as former Red Sux players that I couldn’t stand signed with the Yankees.

Who would’ve ever imagined that I’d like Johnny Damon or Wade Boggs? 

(I never warmed to A-Rod or Clemens - even though I clapped if they did something good).

I also didn’t want to see guys who left - Robby Cano - do well if they decided to leave.

So, yeah, we’re rooting for laundry.

And for all the NFL guys who say:

“Baseball doesn’t have a salary cap!”

I have news for you:

Neither does football!

They simply restructure deals until the cap rules don’t apply as they cut guys that they agreed to pay - without guaranteed deals - most of the players who think they’re set for life - are suddenly unemployed.

The baseball tax actually controls spending better than the “fake cap”.

And of course, the contracts handed out are ludicrous. We’ve seen a $700 million deal in baseball.

Will there be a billion dollar deal soon?

If it were fair Ollie would get a 7-figure deal…

…he catches everything.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie