A Shuffle to the Mound


It was a little hard to get all baseball excited on Monday.

The skies over Buffalo were grey and the temperature was in the 30’s all day.

Meanwhile opening day is 10 days away, and like every other spring day I check in on the Yankees to make sure no one is being carted off.

And there was Joe Torre…

…the Yankees manager from back in the mid-90’s thru 2005. 

Joe is now 83 years old.

Still, his shuffle to the mound is still intact, and it made me smile.

‘Mr. T’ as Jeter called him was the perfect manager for that group of talented players, and my Dad absolutely loved him because he is an Italian man.

And man, those were the days…

…the Yankees appeared in 6 World Series, winning 4 of them in 7 years.

I remember going into a convenient store in 2000 and the clerk asked me why I was smiling.

“The Yankees won the World Series last night,” I said.

“Doesn’t that happen every year?” She asked.

No, sadly, it doesn’t.

There’s been a long wait for twenty-eight, but I’m not here to complain…

…they’ve been pretty damn good for 32 straight years, and have provided me plenty of sports happiness.

(There wouldn’t even be a long wait had the Astros not cheated in 2017. The Yankees lost to them in 7 games…by a single run…take away the garbage cans and we would be gunning for 29 - and don’t get me started on Altuve stealing that MVP).

Anywhoha…

…it was great to see Joe.

And, I don’t have a major problem with Boone…

…guys just have to play through minor injuries!

It took Jeter breaking his ankle to take a day off…

…Mantle played his entire career with a torn ACL!

Now a guy sneezes twice and he is headed for an MRI.

Perhaps Joe looking good at 83 will inspire this squad to take 4 at-bats every day.

It’s time for another World Series win…

…how the hell can I be an aggravating Yankees fan if they don’t put another trophy in the case?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie