Golf in March

I’ve never played golf in Western New York in March.

Until yesterday.

On the way to the course I played a few songs that me and my brother Jeff loved. 

This is a tough time of the year.

I know one thing for sure - Jeff would be enraged if I gave away a day for grief. So, I mentioned golf, knowing he’d be along for the ride.

We had all the guys who are the regulars in our 4-some, and there were smiles all around - I basically hadn’t seen any of them since October.

Yet, I was worried. My body hasn’t felt great lately. I didn’t think it would be much of a round, but just swinging would be enough.

Stepped to the tee, announced that we were off in 2024, and that hit it straight down the middle.

There was a lot of standing water and plenty of mud. There wasn’t a lot of bouncing onto the green, but the greens held the chips that Pops - who has dropped a whole bunch of pounds! - kept hitting close.

We all hit good to great shots on a day when the colder temperatures kept the distances down.

But, by dinner time I was reviewing my round as we watched some shows and I hit 17 good shots from the tee and just one that was mediocre.

In March!

I told Kathy how unexpected a good round was and she mentioned:

“You played 3 weeks ago.”

Which is insane!

I don’t think the weather is going to allow us to get into our weekly routine quite this early, but I’d certainly forgotten how much better Sunday evenings are with a little golf ache in my bones.

On the way home, I listened to the Stones do ‘Moonlight Mile’ and while I don’t recognize sad, sad anniversary days, I glanced skyward and smiled.

I like to think my brother had something to do with me playing golf in March…

…and keeping the ball in the fairway!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie