Passion

We’ve talked before about the power of music to work as a Time Machine and transport one’s mind back to a long forgotten day.

There was a Sabres game. Back in 1981 or 1982. I begged my Mom to go. I didn’t have any major interest in the hockey, there was a rumor that the girl I had a major crush on was going to be one of the six people in that car for the long ride from North Collins to Buffalo.

I had just enough money for the ticket. I wasn’t going with my usual buddies, but the guys with the tickets were good dudes.

Mom relented, but she couldn’t help me with my cash flow problem. I could get the ticket, but when we stopped to eat, I was screwed! My crush would be crushed.

Didn’t matter.

She wasn’t in the car! And in those days, you couldn’t text and ask what happened. She was lost! I wouldn’t have any new information until the next day at school.

As we made the long drive, I sat in the backseat. My nose out the window like a golden retriever as I looked for air and relief from the loud music.

Rod Stewart came on, singing, ‘Passion’ with the chorus, “I was looking for someone to hold onto.”

Miserable!

We got to the Aud and through the gate. One of the guys said:

“You’re quiet. You all right?”

I told him about my money troubles and my disappointment that someone didn’t show. He had zero sympathy. He was 17 years old. He called me a name.

The Rod Stewart song kept ringing in my ears. We shuffled through the main gate, and right there, I spotted something!

I edged away and bent down.

I picked it up and shoved it into my pants pocket.

At the seat, I counted it.

Ninety-Seven dollars!

Cut to 42 years later.

Driving to work.

“Passion” 

I sang every word.

Thought about the pizza I bought for the group, and my old crush.

Thought a little more.

April 27th.

Her birthday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie