Bullies

Been thinking about the traditional school bully. Watched the Ted Lasso scene from season one when he talks about being bullied as he shoots darts.

(One of the best television scenes ever).

And we watched a trailer from the movie ‘Sid is Dead’ and it’s about a high school kid who stands up to the bully and gets the bully suspended.

Led to the question from Kathy:

“Did you get bullied?”

I was 6’ tall, weighed about 110 pounds and had arms that were like twigs. 

Not a lot of power.

I also had a big mouth so, I was prone to the standard bully hate.

The mean, angry guy in our class, who could have beat me up with his feet and hands tied together, took a liking to saying nasty things and every once in awhile pushing me as I walked by him.

I had one thing going for me.

My best buddy, Jeff, wasn’t small. He did not have twig like arms so I was rarely approached when Jeff was around.

And we were always together so, I kind of forgot about my bully.

Then, one day, during gym class, I scored a few goals in our highly competitive hockey match. My bully was on the other team. He found me alone in the locker room and he approached quickly.

“I’m thinking of knocking your teeth out,” he said.

I couldn’t answer him because my knees were shaking and my teeth were chattering.

I remembered my Dad’s advice:

“Stand up to a bully. They’ll back down.”

That didn’t appeal to me at the moment. Apologizing or groveling wasn’t going to work either, so I prepared myself to have my teeth knocked out.

But apparently, Jeff heard the comment.

“Not a great idea to knock anyone’s teeth out,” he casually said as he strolled on by. “That might not end well for anyone.”

And that was it!

My last ever encounter with my bully! I had stood up to him (kinda’!).

About a month later, I played basketball and was part of the squad that came off the bench.

My buddy on that bench squad was my bully!

Turns out he was sort of funny.

We remain casual friends to this day and a few months back I ran into his son on one of the job sites. I told him a few stories and we laughed.

“He was a good Dad,” the kid said. “Scared the hell out of me every now and then.”

“Me too,” I said. 

“Is he still strong as an Ox?” I asked.

“Nah,” his son said. “He watches a lot of television, and he cried when my son was born.”

“He cried!” I asked. “Tell him I said he’s a pussy!”

We both laughed.

Another month passed and I ran into my bully’s son again.

“I told my Dad what you said,” he said. “He’s gonna’ knock your teeth out when he sees you.”

Then he laughed.

“He told me to give you a hug,” the kid said.

And that’s my bully story.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie