Shriners

Been watching Mannix reruns.

Yeah.

Jake walked by the television and said:

“Everyone in this episode is dead.”

He’s probably right, and man, how television has changed since the 1970’s.

A fight scene in one of the old shows is almost comical. You can see that the punch never made clear contact.

Everyone was smoking.

And the commercials are geared towards older people like me!

There is a long commercial regarding the Shriners organization and I know you’ve seen it!

“If you donate today, we’ll send you this ADORABLE blanket.”

And the kid who utters that sentence is absolutely adorable.

The children featured in the commercial have all sorts of dangerous afflictions that are absolutely heartbreaking.

There was a child without arms. Another with a missing leg. Kids with cancer and cleft lips.

Asking for donations in a country where most of the money is being controlled by billionaires who shift it to off-shore accounts to hide it for tax reasons.

Makes me sad.

Jake wandered by as the commercial was playing.

“How depressing can you be?” He asked. “Kids with cancer on the commercials and the show your watching is more than 50 years old.”

“It’s Joe Mannix!” I said. “I used to watch it with my Dad.”

“I thought you watched it with your grandpa,” he said.

Watch Mannix.

Donate to Shriners.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie