Men Making Decisions

I saw a couple of quotes from politicians regarding the abortion issue.

The two quotes that got my attention were from men who stated:

“The best decisions that can be made for women and their rights must be made by men.”

I’m paraphrasing but that was the gist.

I don’t even get it because I was never around such misogyny.

I can’t even imagine what might have happened had my Dad even suggested that he was making all the decisions on behalf of my mother.

Reminds me of Ralph Kramden yelling that he was the king of his castle.

Seems funny to me but there are still plenty of men out there who believe that women are second class citizens who aren’t fit to make important decisions.

And it wasn’t all that long ago that women had to get their husband’s permission to get a credit card or try to buy a home.

We aren’t talking more than 100 years of women being on equal footing with men, and there are more than a few state leaders who believe that women being stripped of their rights is the way it should be.

The nostalgia of America being a utopia of pure happiness when men went off to work and women cleaned the house and made dinner, anxiously awaiting their return.

Thing is, most families can’t survive on a single income and most women don’t want to live such a life.

A politician saying that men get to make decisions for women because they know better is utterly ridiculous, but think back…

…how many generations has it been since ‘women, obey your husband’ was a rallying cry?

Two?

My grandma did the cooking and cleaning.

She served my Grandpa.

But even she wasn’t a shrinking violet.

And my sisters, my Mom and and my wife would all sing out the message together to all of us if we told them we were making the decisions for them:

“Stick it up your ass!”

Not sure which way America will go…

…back to an age where women were treated as second-class citizens…

…or forward.

This coming election will go a long way to deciding how it’s gonna’ be…

…but I’ve met my boy’s girlfriends…

…they won’t be making ALL the decisions any time soon.

Not should they.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie