Raymond & Ray

We always watch Ethan Hawke movies because he’s a good actor, and he always appears to pick good scripts.

So, of course we went with Raymond & Ray - brothers who must attend their Dad’s wake and funeral.

Without spoiling anything, his father’s dying wish is that his sons dig his grave.

“Oh, that’s a good idea,” I said. “Maybe I’ll do that too. Could you imagine how long it would take Jake, Matt & Sam to dig mine?”

“Oh, you’d never make it underground,” Kathy said. “You’d rot. They’d be saying, ‘Hold up, I’m playing Madden.’”

And the script was intelligent as we suspected and there was a moment between the brothers that made me laugh for a good ten minutes.

Wasn’t a classically funny scene:

Was just one brother trying to say something polished to a pretty girl and struggling.

The other brother (Hawke) just bursts out in laughter,

And it truly struck me funny because of the relationship I’ve always had with my brothers who would take great pleasure in me trying to impress a girl.

And that’s why Hawke’s movies are so engaging…

…real life stories and emotional connection.

My favorite kind of movies…

…don’t need a romantic comedy or a wild action film…

…just a good story and good characters.

Anywhoha…

…I don’t think I’m going to leave a provision in the will that makes my boys dig my grave.

Would take them a month…

…at least…

…and then they’d give up.

And as brothers they’d laugh and laugh and laugh.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie