Bruce’s New Song

Thursday was exciting because late on Wednesday the rumors were confirmed.

Springsteen was about to release a new record of soul song covers.

“Only the Strong Will Survive.”

There was some pushback because a lot of his fans want him to write new music every 3 weeks or so. 

The two excellent records, ‘Western Stars’ (which is one of my favorites ever) and ‘Letter to You’ (with the full band) didn’t seem to be enough for some people.

First off, he’s 73 years old!

Doesn’t need another dime or another hit.

Yet he’s a musician and he loves music above anything else. If you listened to him spin records during Covid you could hear the passion for all kinds of music.

As for singing soul music?

I’ve seen him do live versions of some soul classics and he has the chops for it…

…so I was all for the new release and at ten o’clock, my car radio was set to E-Street radio.

The song started and my phone rang right through the car radio!

It was a client.

“What do you want?” I said by way of an answer.

The guy laughed.

“You’re in a good mood!”

“They’re playing the new Springsteen song for the first time ever and instead of listening to it, I’m talking to you.”

The guy started singing ‘Born to Run.’

“What do you want?” I asked again, laughing.

We concluded our business and I ordered the new song on Apple Music and then played it, full blast a few times.

It’s an upbeat, happy, soul-filled, love song.

Then I saw the video, and I got a little depressed!

Bruce was on stage, playing the song live. He was making the same, familiar moves that I’ve grown accustomed to seeing over the last 40 years.

And he looked good for a 73-year old man…

…but his moves looked slower!

‘He’s old,’ I thought.

That’s what tempered my excitement.

When I first saw him live, he was an absolute force of nature.

I got tired just watching him move back then.

Was exhausted the day after that first show.

I know how this works…

…time waits for no one.

Not even the Boss.

‘Indeed I Do’

Good stomp your foot tune and the music and the voice are the same.

Even if the moves are slower.

They’re coming around in 2023.

I imagine I’ll get tired just watching them, but I’ve aged as well…

…it’s all relative, right?

Only the Strong Will Survive after all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie