Damn Yankees

They lost on Friday afternoon.

I know!

What’s funny about it is that I’ve watched a whole lot of baseball in my soon-to-be 58 years and I know a managerial mistake when I see one in real time.

I’m not a guy who hates a manager or a coach and I don’t want everyone fired when they lose a game, but like everyone else, I have opinions.

In a tie game in the 7th inning, Yankees hitter Giancarlo Stanton drew a walk.

“Don’t pinch run for him!” I yelled at the television.

The pinch runner came out of the dugout.

“Mark my words,” I said. “Stanton’s place in the lineup is coming up again and they’re going to send a lousy hitter up.”

That happened in the bottom of the 10th when Stanton’s bat would’ve been helpful.

But they were already losing by then because of another bonehead decision.

In the top of the 10th the Yankees sent a starting pitcher to the mound.

Taillon had never relieved before.

“This is idiotic,” I mentioned to Kathy and Sam. “Use relief pitchers! Starters don’t know how to relieve!”

Three batters later, they were losing.

And so, the weekend started poorly.

But the best thing about baseball is that they play games one after another.

There are games today and tomorrow and Monday if necessary.

I’ll keep an eye on it and manage the game from my spot on the couch.

Hopefully the boneheaded garbage is over.

Steinbrenner can call me.

I’ll take the job if necessary.

And Happy Birthday to my buddy, Jeff! He’s happy the Yankees lost…

…hope the Bills pound the Chiefs for him!

Even if he roots against my beloved Yankees.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie