Everyone Just Have Fun

Hope is a funny word.

We use it to get through the rough parts of life.

We rely on it to get over a tough loss for our favorite sports team, and we really hope that it will all work out the next time they suit up.

But in this day and age…

…man, seems there is more rage than hope.

I purposely skipped the Twitter review after the Yankees gut-wrenching loss on Saturday night, but by Sunday, I was scrolling.

‘Fans’ of the team were livid.

“Fire the manager and general manager!”

“Shoot the shortstop into the sun!!”

“Sell the team!”

And it wasn’t just the Yankees.

The Dodgers, Mets and Braves all were taking heat.

Then the Bills came on and played a back and forth game. Halfway through, my sons wanted to punch the head coach and one of the receivers.

All of them were yelling about the refs.

And it occurred to me how dumb all of it is.

The athletes are paid a king’s ransom as their fanatics go crazy with despair over the wins and losses.

Tickets for the Indians-Yankees game were $164 apiece. People from Buffalo seemingly travel to every away game.

And what does it really matter?

I’ve watched the Yankees win 7 championships.

They were all great. I got new hats and shirts.

5 months later, I was yelling about the new players they brought in and I wanted another one!

As for the Bills?

It’s all about “one before I die” for people my age.

They look good this year and I started thinking about the heartbreak from their previous close calls.

It’s all about community, I suppose, but perhaps we’ve all gone up and around the bend a little too far.

“How you going to feel when the Yankees get eliminated?” Jake asked last week.

“I’ll get up and go to work the next day,” I said, “And get ready for next year.”

That’s it.

Hope for the best.

Smile at the parade.

Allow yourself to be distracted enough to slough your way through.

But try and enjoy it a little!

Everything doesn’t have to be an outrage!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie