Catching A Ball At MLB Park

I caught a baseball at a Yankees-Blue Jays game back in the early 2000’s.

It was crazy!

Let’s set the scene.

The Blue Jays were batting in the 3rd inning. A guy by the name of Dave Berg hit a foul ball down the first base line in our direction.

I was seated next to Jake, who was next to Matt, who was next to Sam, who was next to Kathy.

Everyone had a glove except for me…

…as the fly ball headed our way, I saw Kathy trying to get to it. She was holding the glove upside down.

Didn’t matter because the ball was five rows up.

“Give me that glove,” I said. “You aren’t going to catch anything with the glove upside down.”

She handed the glove over, and don’t you know that Berg fouled off the very next pitch right to Kathy’s seat.

I watched the flight of the ball, and knew 2 things:

1). I couldn’t get there to help.

And 

2). She didn’t have a glove!

The ball was scorched too, but my wife gamely put up both hands to make the catch and the ball struck her just below the wrist.

“F**k!” She yelled, making the boys laugh.

Me?

I played the bounce, and dove into the row ahead to put my glove over the ball.

Here’s the thing!

A couple of guys jumped on me. One even threw a punch to my mid-section!

For a foul ball hit by a backup infielder on a bad Blue Jays team!

But man, it was exciting!

I held the ball up to show everyone in my section and my heart was beating louder than a big bass drum (as the Stones say).

To this day we talk about the day Kathy ‘caught’ the foul ball.

(She had the stitches and the commissioner’s name tattooed on her wrist).
 
I bring this all up because the guy who ended up with the Judge 62 home run ball was already offered $2 million.

He didn’t accept.

It also doesn’t look like he will gift it back to Judge.

Listen, I love the Yankees and Judge.

I’d want him to have the ball…

…but if I could make $2 million off it…

…I wouldn’t just hand it over!

Just being honest!

My boys could use some of that money down the line.

I would put the Dave Berg ball up for auction but the boys played with it…

…and Melky got it.

Ate it.

Hope the guy who has the Judge ball keeps it away from his pit bull.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie