Silent Cheers

I knew the tweet was coming.

I could’ve predicted the sender and the wording:

“Not guilty on all counts!”

The trial appeared to be going that way, I suppose, and I can’t even comment on it because I didn’t watch it.

Couldn’t watch it.

Didn’t and don’t want to read about it. I don’t even want to write that kids name anywhere.

Two people dead.

That wouldn’t have happened had he not left home armed and looking for a gun fight.

Had that kid stayed home that night those people would still be breathing.

Self-defense?

I’ve had a number of scenarios run through my mind. 

What if he had been a black 17-year old?

I think he would’ve been found dead at the scene.

What might happen if two protesters show up at a rally for a twice impeached new candidate, armed with AR-15’s?

Can they now shoot anyone they want?

Vigilante justice can’t be the law of the land. 

Was his presence really required that night?

He wasn’t a medic. Wasn’t a cop. Wasn’t even his home.

He was just someone entering an unstable situation with a weapon.

Trouble was going to find him.

My Dad once told me, “You hang around a barber shop and sooner or later you’re going to get your haircut.”

Dad was talking about trouble finding me if I stayed out at the bar too late.

“Trouble will find you.”

Trouble did find that kid.

But he got away with it.

And therein lies the problem…

…and people cheered the verdict.

They’re still cheering it on social media. Day after day.

Screaming about how that kid is a hero.

Silent cheers.

They’re deafening.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie