Sausage!

We had a visit from the Baltimore crew and the purpose was not only a visit with some of our cousins…

…we made sausage!

And of course, we have chronicled the sausage making process through the years, but I did a fair amount of looking around as the sausage was being made.

Everyone has a task. I was a little late so I got to wash the casings.

Not the prime job.

Jim was on the machine, Larry led the weighing and bagging and his boy, Jeff, got stuck at the sink washing everything.

There were others involved, of course, and the chatter was light as pound after pound after pound was stuffed, bagged and put away.

There were absent others there as well.

I thought of my brother Jeff working the machine, and my Dad mixing it and having the ash from his cigarette fall into the bowl. Uncle Jim washed the casings when he was there.

Then, the moment we were all waiting for, as a huge frying pan was set on the front burner and filled with sausage.

Jim fried it up as the hot peppers turned in the microwave and we all looked at the rolls.

The aroma of the fresh sausage filled the air and I was on the verge of drooling.

“About three more minutes,” Jim said, and he broke the huge pan of sausage up into eight big slabs.

He placed the first slab onto a roll and we all watched him. He was putting the second hunk onto the second roll and I had a thought:

“What the hell am I doing?”

I grabbed the first plate, piled on the peppers and took the first official bite.

“Horrible,” I said.

I thought about slowing down a little bit, but I ended up slamming that sandwich.

It was gone so quickly!

A few hours later, at home, Kathy wondered:

“Are we having sausage tonight?”

I laughed!

Of course we were!

Sausage and potatoes for dinner.

“Oh God,” Kathy said, two bites in. “So good. Is there enough for breakfast tomorrow?”

“There’s plenty,” I said.

Cut to 4 hours later. We were watching Dateline.

“Know what I’m thinking about?” Kathy asked.

“Sausage?”

“Maybe a little bowl.”

Yeah.

It was lunch, dinner and snack.

This morning it’ll be breakfast.

Horrible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie