November 9, 1979

We were having pork chops for dinner.

We were also celebrating a little too because my sister Corinne had received her driver’s license, that very day, in the mail.

Problem being, we were a box short of Shake & Bake.

A perfect storm.

I popped out into the kitchen to see when the chops would be done.

“Where’s Corinne?” I asked.

“She went to the store,” My Dad said.

And the lights went out.

Literally!

“What the hell?” Dad said, “the power is off.”

“Maybe Corinne hit a pole,” I said.

Dad turned to me as if I slapped him. I remember that Uncle Frank was there. 

Then I don’t remember much, other than being scared out of my mind.

My big sister, with my little sister, Carrie riding shotgun, had indeed hit a telephone pole, on her first trip out as a licensed driver, on Halley Road.

42 years later, I look at the pole that took the place of the pole that she hit…

…every single time I drive down that road!

And details are sketchy.

Supertramp may have been on doing ‘Take the Long Way Home.’

There was most certainly a gum ball involved.

It appears that the gum ball got loose and Corinne went to get it, taking the wheel with her…

…right into the pole.

But the most lasting image of it all was seeing the fear and anguish on Dad’s face.

Corinne mentioned how horrible she felt about damaging the car.

“I don’t care about the car,” Dad said. “You’re all right!”

He hugged my sisters and shared how scared he was when he heard the news.

I think he may have provided Corinne with cigarettes and even a drink to calm her down.

One more thing I definitely recall:

I was scared too!

I think I had to gag down six pork chops that night.

A highly memorable day.

Corinne texted:

“Anyone remember what happened on 11/09/79?”

I answered:

“Does it have anything to do with a gum ball?”

And then we talked about Dad.

A rough memory.

We all marveled at the love he showed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie