Rode Hard & Put Away Wet

My college roommate loved the expression:

“Rode hard & put away wet.”

I thought about it a lot on Sunday afternoon.

Because I’ve been running myself ragged lately.

Up early, plenty to do, no chance of slowing down.

Petal to the metal.

Got in from golf (a normal round - no hero stuff this week) and settled in for the Bills game, which was a snooze fest as far as entertainment went.

I battled to keep my eyes open for most of it.

Then I went to stand up and I made the old man noises that come with putting my feet of the floor.

“I need some rest.”

But when I shook off the cobwebs of the Bills blow out of the Dolphins I slowly came to the realization that work was coming again.

Mere hours.

“Take a day,” Kathy said.

“Yeah. Right.”

I made dinner. Washed some clothes. Then did something really unusual…

…I stopped thinking about the upcoming week.

No planning of the schedule other than knowing the first job I might visit.

I’ve been rode hard.

They put me away wet.

Sometimes I feel old.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie