Blink of an Eye

Cut to about 1976.

“The bus!!!” Corinne was screaming at me to hurry up.

I ran for the door.

Just as Corinne slammed it shut.

I went straight through the glass and heard my mother scream out:

“What the hell was that?”

I could turn and head back into the house and my extremely agitated mother or I could run for the bus.

I ran for the bus.

My arms covered in blood from the cuts from the broken glass.

Cut back to 2021.

Seated at the party.

I was beside my big sister. I could see our reflection in the glass.

We are old!

And in a trick of the mind…

…I suddenly saw Corinne on that bus all that time ago.

She was laughing at me as I stood in front of the bus driver as she bandaged up my cuts.

We were kids!

Ten minutes ago!!!

Now there was grey staring back at me in that mirror.

And the party was filled with teenagers who were taking their turn at driving all of us crazy.

We were trying to talk some sense into them.

We were mostly failing!

And I sat there, looking around, remembering all those crazy days gone by.

Corinne looked at me.

Stuck out her tongue, and laughed.

We battled through so much.

45 years later.

We’re still standing…sort of.

And laughing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie