Gust of Wind

I’m a big fan of Billy Bob Thorton as an actor. Have been looking forward to Goliath season 4 and got word that it all dropped.

We put it on and I actually missed a few innings of the Yankees big game to watch the first couple of episodes.

In episode 2, Billy’s character is talking to his neighbor who tells him that he’s just a little guy and asks if the wind blows him down.

“I can handle a gust of wind,” Billy’s character says.

And the single sentence got me thinking.

The wind is going to blow in all of our lives and handling the gusts is the trick.

I think of some of the people out there who’ve really suffered mightily.

I ran into a guy on a site today. 

“If someone asks you about Covid make sure you show the hand wash station and the sanitizers and the written plan. Don’t treat it like a joke.”

(I have to say that to all the job supervisors because some of them do believe it is a ‘hoax’).

“I know it’s not a joke,” the guy said. “I had it and was really sick for a couple of weeks. My poor wife took care of me, and when I got better, she got sick. Spent a lot of time in the hospital. I thought I was gonna’ lose her.”

I saw the pain in the man’s eyes.

“Sorry to hear that. Is she good now?”

“Not really, but she’s working at it. At least she’s still here.”

The very next job I ran into a guy who was in the parking lot. He’s a talkative, ball-buster sort and I was glad to see him. 

He barely looked up.

“Yo,” I said. “You don’t say hello?”

“Sorry, man, I just got word that my uncle died suddenly. Heart attack. Just 52.”

“Oh man, I’m so sorry!”

(What else can you say?)

I thought about all of that when Billy Bob uttered that line.

“I can handle a gust of wind.”

Hope you can too.

Cause it’s windy all the time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie