Time

I’m not sure what happens when I get behind the wheel in Kansas.

Maybe it’s the huge sky.

Or maybe it’s the fact that I listen to tunes and just drift away a little.

On Thursday the huge sky was so bright blue. Not a cloud anywhere.

The music was good old rock and roll.

Here’s what hit me:

“I graduated from high school 39 years ago.”

Good Lord!

Seger’s ‘Like A Rock’ came on and he was singing about being 18 and as strong as he could be and then “20 years gone. Where’d they go? 20 years, I don’t know.”

The air conditioning blew what little hair I have left and it was spiked high. 

Grey and high.

I laughed.

Thought of an old boss who I never really liked. I stopped working for him in the mid-90’s. He was in his late 40’s then.

“He’s in his 70’s!”

Good God.

The Cars debut record came out when I was in 9th grade. It was exceptional and all anyone listened to that summer.

Still great!

There were girls I thought a lot of back in those days. It’s amazing how a song can transport one back.

I think that songs are the best time-machine we have.

When I hear a first note of one of those impact songs I almost scream out the name of the girl.

“Better Days” by Bruce from mid-90’s and I almost yelled out Kathy’s name.

“I got a new set of clothes and a pretty red rose; a woman I can call my friend. These are better days.”

Sang that a lot around the time I got married, and man, it went so fast from there.

Thought about my boys and how they’ve grown through the years, becoming decent, kind men who show up in life.

Thought about trying to teach them more about how much was still in front of them, but how life will punch hard.

“Punch back harder,” I whispered.

Kept moving forward…

…thinking about the country. I always seem to do that in Kansas as well because there are signs of it being a red state every twenty miles or so.

Signs talking about eternal redemption.

My favorite note is painted on a barn about midway through my drive. I look forward to seeing it every time, wondering if the guy who painted it has realized his mistake:

“Except Jesus into your heart before it’s too late!!!!”

I wonder if Jesus knows that it’s there.

I love my time in the Midwest…

…I’m only half here though…

…my mind takes me all the way back through time.

39 years!

Seriously!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie