“How’d the Yankees Do?”

First off, I deserve it.

I have, since I was a wee lad, reminded all of my friends that the Yankees are the “27-Time World Champion Greatest Franchise in the History of American sports.”

Not so much thus far this year.

They have been infuriating to watch because they’re stacked with good players and they’ve played so poorly for long stretches.

When they hit the ball over the wall the fact that they play dumb is forgotten.

Haven’t done it much.

So, the calls and texts start coming, after a loss is in the books, and the next morning when a few idiots see the box scores.

“Anyone know who won the Angels-Yankees game last night?” A long-time pal texted at 5:45 yesterday morning.

“Angels 5-3,” I answered.

“Oh! Geez. That’s 4 losses in a row, huh?”

I gave him a two-word answer. The second word being, ‘off’.

But, as I’ve said, I’ve earned it.

“You’re going to tell me it’s early,” he answered.

“It is early,” I said. “In ‘78 they were 14 back in July. They won the series.”

“They didn’t look this bad in ‘78.”

“Of course they did, dumb-dumb.”

There was a long pause with the bubbles working as I awaited his answer.

“What will you say if they’re still 7 out in September?” He asked.

“You know the answer to that,” I said.

“27!” He answered.

“Exactly!!!”

Another long pause.

“So, there’s no way to win an argument against you on this subject, right?”

“When we go to our graves, the Yankees will still have more titles than anyone,” I said.

He gave me a 2-word answer.

2nd word was ‘off’.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie