These Damn Phones

What is the end game with the car warranty calls that we all receive at least 5 times a week? 

I usually get that call in the middle of a busy work day from a number that looks familiar. Like everyone else, I don’t get a lot of real calls anymore so it startles me when it rings.

I also have to answer calls because my business runs on it, and there’s the pre-recorded auto warranty rant.

Of course, I swear and immediately hang up and I imagine everyone else does as well...

...so what is the purpose???

Does anyone know?

My phone is always in my hand or close by.

I get a phone usage notification once a week and it is kind of embarrassing. I try to reason with it:

“I’m not really on it that much!”

But, we all are!

“Shit!” Kathy called out the other day as we were watching a movie.

I looked over in alarm. She was staring at her screen.

“What happened?” I asked, believing someone died.

“I can’t beat this level,” she said.

And I am certainly old enough to recall leaving my house in the morning without a phone. My phone hung on the wall with a machine attached to record messages.

I would walk into my apartment and head straight for the answering machine. Usually the light wasn’t blinking.

Life was easier when we weren’t always available for everything. 

The other day I checked my email. I had a work one that I read. While I was reading the email the guy who sent it texted me:

“I just sent you an email.”

While I was reading that the guy called me!!

“What’s up?” I asked.

“I sent you an email,” he said.

“And a text and now you’re calling me. Are you sending a smoke signal too?”

He laughed.

I didn’t. I was annoyed with him!

And the chargers!

My God!

I like to have a charger in my car and one at two levels in my home so I don’t have to carry the charger around.

Every single day one of the three chargers I have is not where it’s supposed to be!

“Where’s my charger?”

“Oh, I borrowed it” or “Sam has it, his broke.”

And my standard answer is:

“They’re ten dollars! Buy one! Your chaos is leaking into my life!”

But I sound like an ogre in such a situation.

Also, I want my phone charger at all times.

“Dad, can I borrow your charger? I’m at 3%?”

“No! I’m only at 88%,” I’ll answer.

These damn phones!

Anyway, maybe I will entertain that warranty phone call one of these days just to see what’s up. Maybe there’s a benefit to all of it.

Who really knows?

No one has ever listened to the sales pitch, right?

Comments

Unknown said…
Don't I know how you react to a simple sharing of the phone charger request...

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie