Create Something

So, there’s been a bit of controversy in Bruce-land this week.

Springsteen is set to release a new record on October 23rd. We’ve known that since about mid-September and two songs have been put out - love them both.

Yet this past week the entire album leaked out, and that’s when the storm started. Actual long-time, supposedly huge Springsteen fans were giddy with excitement.

They’d somehow stolen the record before the official release.

I say ‘stolen’ because that’s what they did. They didn’t pay for it, and they all passed it everywhere.

I haven’t heard anything other than the two songs that have been officially released and while I certainly WANT to hear it as soon as possible, I know what it’s like to create something.

The fact that Bruce’s work is stolen almost every time is truly aggravating to me, and “fans” were justifying it by saying that Springsteen has enough money.

So he’s supposed to create for free?

I’ve spent hour after hour after hour in an effort to create something. It’s a labor of love to be sure, but if all the hours are added up...the money made per hour is a lot less than what people might think and when it’s a Bruce record there’s a community feel about things...

...people can listen as one. I’m sure that’s what he intended.

I got frustrated with all of it years ago.

I googled my own books one time and saw that they were being sold all over the world...

...there are Chinese releases! Translated! 

“Who’s getting that money?” Kathy asked me.

“Not me!”

Mellencamp went before Congress and asked the question:

“Why should anyone create anything? It’s all free!”

Kathy asked me about listening to the record as it showed up.

“I can wait until Friday,” I said. “I’ll buy it. Bruce earned the $15 that it’ll cost.”

Create something!

Then listen to people try and get it for free.

“I lent your book to my mother and my sister is going to read it after that,” someone recently mentioned.

“Lovely!”

I want everyone to read them!

But remember the artist, huh? They put a lot of work in!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie