17 Has Turned 56

Caught John Mellencamp’s great song, “Cherry Bomb” yesterday. 

Thought about when I first heard it. I was 23 years old. 

Mellencamp is singing about the past and in the song he says, “17 has turned 35. I’m surprised that we’re still living.”

I used to marvel at how far away 35 seemed at the end of that line.

I was 23!

35???

Yesterday, I waited for the line...and I sang it proud.

“17 has turned 56. I’m surprised that we’re still living.”

First off, it was great to listen to JCM again. I followed up Cherry Bomb with Human Wheels and marveled about how great an artist he is. 

Secondly, I thought a little about the 33 years since I first heard the song.

A lot got done!

Wife, kids, a lot gained and certainly some horrible losses.

Today is birthday #56.

I’m starting to accept it.

Not a whole lot will change from another Sunday:

Golf

Pasta

Family

Pets

Same things I was chasing at 17.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie