How Many Days Left?

In February of 2020 I was invited on a golf trip with some great friends.

Just 4 days in Florida, but I remember thinking:

“What a great start to the year!”

That honestly feels like it was 10 years ago.

And here we sit, Halloween.

Sixty-two days left in this eternity of a year.

And I can’t believe how down and out I’ve felt during some of these long-ass days.

I watched the dueling political rallies yesterday.

One was held at a social distance with people in masks and cars.

The other a old-time rally. Mask less and totally ignoring the facts.

Shake my damn head.

How is it even possible? The science. All these sick people. So many Americans dying.

No plan.

No empathy.

Defiance and division.

Got a text from a dear friend.

“What do you do when you feel down?”

Then a text from an old friend.

“I’m positive for Covid. I’m so sick. Fever broke, but I haven’t been able to stand up since Monday.”

“Oh God!” I wrote. “You’ll beat it. Rest. Stay hydrated. Good thing you’re an elite athlete.”

(I was trying to make him laugh).

Yet, laughter is hard to come by here in 2020.

As a matter of fact, I read something about how America has suffered in the last four years.

Days pass like months because there has been nothing there.

No laughter, no empathy, no damn joy!

Everyone is worried.

People are sick.

Everything is a fight.

I want to scream out:

“Go to your neutral corners! Come back out when you can be nice!”

But I don’t know how we get back there.

By Tuesday the division will be so glaring. 

I pray it doesn’t erupt into more violence.

Philly is on fire.

People aren’t talking.

100,000 cases a day.

400,000 deaths by February...

...just 365 long days after that wonderful golf trip.

How do we move forward???

One tiny step at a time.

There’s a chorus in one of the new Bruce songs.

Just him singing:

“It’ll be all right. It’ll be all right.”

Hope so.

I do know one thing:

I’ve felt comforted just with that voice singing those words.

Keep punching back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie