I Voted

I wasn’t planning on voting early, but after discussing my scheduled trip with a work client they let me know that the cost of flying out on a Wednesday as opposed to Election Day Tuesday was an extra $700.

“Can you vote early?” They asked. Even sent me the link to where the early voting was being held.

And like everything else, it became a recurring thought. I NEEDED to vote early and I wasn’t gonna’ put it off.

I found the closest place - voting started at noon - so I decided to head over a little early - got there at 11:30.

Was a hundredth in line.

“Wow,” the guy behind me said. “People are making sure they vote in this one.”

We watched the line grow behind us.

‘Wow’ is right.

The line snaked down the sidewalk and all the way back to the baseball diamond.

We started talking baseball and then we chatted about work. Turns out three straight of us made our living in the construction field and we knew all the same people.

They were in unions. I was a long-time union member.

“I’m glad I’m out,” the man behind me said. “Just retired a few months ago. I got out with a pension and social security.” 

He pointed at me.

“You still have a chance at some sort of retirement.”

Then he pointed to the young kid in front of me.

“You’re screwed.”

We all laughed.

“That’s why I’m standing in line two hours to vote,” the kid said.

We touched on Covid a little.

No one mentioned a single candidate.

All in all, it took me less than three minutes to actually vote.

I had left the house at 11:15 and I got home at a little after 2:00.

In America in 2020.

That’s crazy to me.

We can tally votes for American Idol in an evening via phone call.

But this is going to amount to a month of voting and the peanut gallery will scream that it’s not fair, and may sue everyone when the votes don’t go the way they want.

It’s kinda’ absurd, but you know, I felt good as I walked away.

I’ve had a lot to say as an American citizen and that’s a right that none of us should take for granted.

My voting allows me to keep talking, I suppose, and it’s off the to-do list.

As I got in my car I noticed that the line had only grown.

A lot of Americans are voting...

...I’m thinking it’ll be a record turn-out.

Hope it doesn’t get thrown into a shit show.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie