Yellowstone

We’re watching the Kevin Costner show, Yellowstone.

I really like it, and while the characters aren’t the most likable guys and gals, I’ve always enjoyed the cowboy tales.

From the old movies with John Wayne and Dean Martin straight through Bonanza to this show...

...it’s just a draw to me for some reason.

“We should buy a ranch,” I mentioned.

“Oh yeah,” Kathy asked. “Who’s gonna’ do the work?”

“Me.”

“Really?? You’re going to gallop along on a horse lassoing a bull?”

“I can do that.”

She laughed. 

“When I was younger,” I said.

“Younger than when I met you?” Kathy asked. “Cause you weren’t gonna’ lasso nothing at the age of 29 either.”

Touché.

Yet, I always liked the thought of being a real man, I guess. I certainly could’ve worked hard enough.

What I like most about the old westerns:

1). The bar scenes. 

The swinging door to the saloon. Guys sitting down and ordering a full bottle of whiskey.

Drinking in the old westerns is for tough guys.

2). The fights

These dudes hit hard. Over nothing!

 “You disrespected my honor!”

There was a fight in one of the episodes where guys were just hammering each other and one of the farmhands said:

“You want us to stop this?”

Costner’s character said:

“No, this needs to happen.”

Used to be, in days gone by, that guys just pounded one another and then were friends again.

“I’d have been a great fighter,” I said.

That actually brought a LOL as the kids say.

3). Women

The women in the old westerns are often damsels in distress.

I don’t like that.

The storylines often show the women standing up to the men, though.

“Women like the strong, rugged type,” I said. “That’s why I’d be good on the ranch.”

“Stop!” Kathy said. “I can’t take anymore.”

Okay, so maybe I won’t make much of a cowboy at nearly 56 years old...

...or even at 29...

...but I can pretend.

Maybe I write a Western someday.

Big, rugged cowboy named Clifford.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie