El Dorado

I’ve had a pretty blessed life when it comes to traveling this awesome country.

I lived in California in two separate trips, golfed in Golden Gate Park. 

I’ve spent time in Iowa, Maryland, Connecticut, Florida and all points in between.

On Monday and Tuesday I drove through Kansas - actually from Kansas City to Wichita.

It’s an interesting drive.

The sky feels like it’s right on top of you. The flat ground and the clear vantage points. I’ve told people that in Kansas you can watch your dog take off and track him for 4 miles from your porch.

As I drove I put on Apple Car play and blasted music. The new Bruce song, Ghosts, is straight up phenomenal, but I put on some I could sing to.

“I Go Crazy” by Paul Davis, “Bluer than Blue” by Michael Johnson, “If You Could Read My Mind” by Gordon Lightfoot, “I Go to Extremes” by Billy Joel.

And to top it off, “I Fall In Love Again,” by Anne Murray.

I can sing the hell out of all of those!

But I stopped singing for a minute to pull to the side to see something truly remarkable in El Dorado.

A bunch of cowboys herding cattle!

We just got done watching Yellowstone...

...I kept an eye on the cowboys...

...so cool!

The chaps, the hats, the Little Joe looking dudes were yelling out and the cattle was moving along.

And it struck me right then that this country is beautiful. That’s not a new thought, but it’s easily forgotten when you listen to the back and forth aggravation posed by two political parties who seem intent on robbing the country blind.

I decided to stop at the next rest stop for a coffee.

Mask signs on the door.

Three of us waiting at the counter when a biker dude came in, mask-less.

“I can’t serve you,” the young girl behind the counter said.

“You falling for that shit?”

The guy looked at all of us.

“Bunch of sheep.” He yelled as he left.

I shouldn’t have stopped!

I was singing Anne Murray and watching cowboys herd cattle.

I laughed at the guy though.

He didn’t ruin my day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie