Labor Days

I’ve always enjoyed working hard.

This past May I was working around the yard. Really “grinding” as Sam calls it, and I was seated in the driveway, laying down plastic and clearing weeds.

Then I tried standing up.

When I got into the house some time later, I said:

“I miss being able to work like a madman.”

Since around 1976 I have worked constantly. I believe I collected unemployment for 1.5 weeks in 44 years.

My jobs:

1). Farm Worker 

Enjoyed the sun. Hated picking berries. Went home tired.

2). Stock Boy

Avery’s Bells - I had a blast. The pretty girls were cashiers. I enjoyed working with my friend, Tom. We walked home and talked about our coming lives, and our love interests. We sat on the railroad tracks, drinking beer. Larry and Howie and a whole bunch of others worked there. It was like a party.

3). Union Laborer

I had zero qualifications but I turned into a damn good laborer. I was young and strong and you want to talk about grinding? I had to bring it every day. Dad was the big boss.

4). Writer

I wrote resumes. I worked for a now-defunct magazine. Had articles published in a lot of newspapers. Wrote 25 books. 14 of which are published. 

Writing brought me to auditoriums and book expos all over the country. I’ve spoken in front of hundreds and hundreds of people.

Enjoyed it all.

5). I also worked as a telemarketer for a couple of months.

It was a brutal, demeaning gig.

Hated it.

But it was work.

So, today is a day off...

...from work.

I’m sure I’ll do something today.

It’s hard not to do some sort of work every single day.

Just wish I had a few more days as an 18-year old worker.

It’s a lot easier to stand up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie