The Art

Last Saturday when I was golfing I received a phone call from a co-worker and client.

Normally people just text now so when I actually get a voice call I’m a little annoyed, to be honest.

Yet, someone told me long ago to answer my phone and/or return all calls to run a successful business. I was wondering why he was calling though. He was also a text-first guy.

I returned the call on the way home and it wasn’t what I expected.

“I took two of your books with me on vacation,” he said. “I hadn’t read a book in 20 years. I read both of them in a matter of a few days.”

“Excellent!”

One of the books was ‘Oh Brother!’

“My God,” he said. “You really touched my heart.”

Now, I can talk about Jeff all day long and I was thrilled to share a few more stories, but my friend also wanted to talk about my writing and he was overly excited to praise me.

That’s always uncomfortable for me. For years I’ve fielded questions about the craft. Most start with:

“I can’t even write a letter.”

I don’t know how to answer the ‘how’ questions, and I sure as hell can’t accept the praise.

And I thought of that and more as I read a Twitter feed about a waitress who had a run-in with the musician Van Morrison.

The feed was filled with people who had troublesome encounters with Van. 

Evidently, he’s a bit surly.

What troubled me was the people who mentioned how much they loved Van’s music but now might not be able to listen to it in quite the same way.

Here’s the truth:

The art is always better than the artist.

I’m sure that Van Morrison has learned to absolutely hate ‘Brown-Eyed Girl’. 

Yet, it’s a song that means a whole lot to millions. When people see him they want to talk about it, or hear it sung live.

He’s probably really sick of that tune. He’s probably had a million conversations with people who tell him how much his work has helped/saved/changed them.

Certainly he values that. Anyone who has ever created anything does it for that reason and that reason alone...

...but here’s the rub:

When you create, create, create, you’re never truly satisfied with anything that you’ve done.

I don’t read any past books (with the exception of ‘Everything I Know’) and not think:

“I could’ve done that better.”

So, when someone praises the work...

...it’s weird.

And you’re your best self in your work...

...and you know the secrets because you put it together.

“I’m blown away by how sensitive you are,” someone told me after reading one of the books.

“I’m not that sensitive,” I answered.

The person I was talking to was disappointed by that answer....

...and that’s the problem.

As someone who creates you can’t possibly be responsible for how it feels to the person hearing/seeing/or reading it.

You just do the best you can...

...and pray to God that as an artist you can sort of live up to the art you create.

And you’ll always fall short if the art is effective.

And that’s okay too.

You can’t put it out there if you’re not willing to stand up for it.

People should probably give Van a break, and enjoy the art.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie