Baker Street

I have Sirius radio and I listen to a lot of talk radio on long trips...

...Howard, Dan Patrick, some political crap.

I also listen to E-Street radio quite a bit, and I’m always happy that when I get back in the car after Kathy drives it that it’s always on The E-Street station.

But every once he awhile I drift to the 80’s station or the classic rock station or the Bridge.

The Bridge is the mellow rock station and I can go a long time without changing it because most every song is good and is from back in the time when I was a teenager.

Like Baker Street by Gerry Rafferty. It’s a song that was on the radio every ten minutes in the late 70’s.

It came on yesterday and I concentrated on it.

I’m struggling to describe it because it’s not great...but I don’t mind it either. It amazes me that it’s still being played 40 years later.

Africa by Toto is another song like that...

...everyone just kind of got used to it...

...and those two songs got played and played and played.

A Horse with No Name is another such song.

Just easy to listen to, but not spectacular.

I heard a few others that I really like:

“How Much I Feel” by Ambrosia.

“Sundown” by Gordon Lightfoot.

“Watching the Wheels” by John Lennon.

I can sing the hell out of those...

...and I always long for the days when great songs are coming out every couple of weeks.

No one is really making new music these days...

...but then I switched to E-Street and the new Bruce song was being played:

“Ghosts.”

It’s outstanding.

Great lyrics. The band in terrific form.

I’m not sure whatever happened to Gerry Rafferty.

I imagine he’s out there living his life, explaining to everyone that he’s the guy who sings “Baker Street.”

I bet even he can’t believe how many freaking times that song got played.

Thank God Bruce keeps making new songs!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie