I Remember Those Days

For the last 6 months I’ve had to stop and put air in my tire at least 3 times a week.

Now, you might say that I should fix the tire, but believe me, I have!

I brought the car in to the place around a half-mile from my house 4 times now.

Yesterday was attempt #4.

And I always set the appointment for the end of my work day and I walk it home from there. It gives me a chance to clear my head.

I even walk back to get it when it’s done (or not done as it turns out).

Anywhoha...

...I was ambling down the road and I passed by a new family coming out of a newly remodeled home at the end of the road.

I’ve never met them...

...but I clearly saw Mommy and Daddy and three kids. One was in a stroller, one was on a bike and the other was walking beside Dad.

Dad was holding a leash that had a wild, black dog on the end of it.

It made my heart skip a beat.

A young family going for a walk.

“I remember those days,” I called out, and sadness swept over me.

I’d already lived that part of my life and I wanted to be back there!

A couple of weeks back Kathy texted me a photo of Sam when he was about four years old.

“I miss that boy,” she said.

“He’s in his room,” I answered. “He’ll be out within the hour looking for food.”

I watched the family make their way down the street. 

They were going in the opposite direction.

Dad was shouting out instructions as the middle kid on the bike was getting too far ahead.

I wanted to tell that guy not to blink.

It goes by that fast!

“What time we eating?” Sam asked as I walked back through the door.

“5:30, buddy,” I said.

I’ll hold onto this moment too...

...it’s going by fast.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie