When Did You Know?

It was just a throw-away line in a show we were watching where one character said to the other:

“When did you know that life wasn’t going to be as great as you thought it would be?”

I immediately thought back to the innocent days of my youth when there wasn’t a whole lot to worry about. Mom and Dad has us covered and we spent a whole lot of time laughing and loving and having a blast.

There was a blank page ahead of me and I could write all over it.

That was fun.

And I think to the early days of our marriage when the days were hectic and it was a crazy race to get all three boys to bed, and then try and sneak some sleep in.

So many possibilities for my children. I was still having a lot of fun, building my career, writing and dreaming.

The pages of that blank book filling in.

Still loving life.

But I was forever mindful of the idea that life can chew you up and spit you out. Live every day. Love everyone. Smell the roses. Life’s like a box of chocolates.

And all that shit.

Life can grind you.

Up and out and working hard. Bad breaks. Immeasurable losses.

And suddenly.

You’re getting older.

I spend a little time each month thinking, “Damn! I’m in my mid-50’s!”

My Dad was about this age when I asked him if he felt his age.

“I still feel like I’m 18,” he said.

At that time, I marveled at that thought! He still felt like he was 18 when he was 55?

“55 is ancient!” I thought.

When I asked Dad what he wanted out of the rest of his days, he said:

“I want to be in my mid-90’s and under suspicion for multiple felonies.”

It made me laugh. He was that sort of guy, and he had a zest for all of it.

So, I thought about that sitcom line for a good long while.

“When did you know?”

I don’t have regrets about much, but I feel the grind on the bad days. I feel the loss on the worst of days.

I still like to battle.

There are still some pages left to write on.

Hoping most people wait a good long way into their lives before they know that it’s rough.

And know, the good days come back around too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie