July 26, 1984

On July 25, 1984, I returned early to college.

We got some beer and put out the word that we’d be having a party.

A lot of people showed up and it was a tad out of hand. It was just me and my buddy, Fluffy, there holding down the fort so we wanted to be sure we didn’t trash the place before the rest of our rommies got to town.

I spotted Fluff around 1:00 in the morning. He was tipsy.

“We gotta’ talk,” he yelled over the Bruce record playing on the stereo.

“What’s up?”

“We have to get rid of these people because Bruce is playing at the CNE tomorrow in Toronto and we’re going!”

I laughed.

“We don’t have tickets, or money for tickets,” I reasoned.

“We have your tuition money. We’ll scalp them.”

Given that Fluffy was tipsy I said this:

“You clear this place and wake me up at 6:00 and we’ll go.”

Didn’t think there was a chance in hell, but at 6:00 he was there, shaking me awake.

“Let’s go!”

I knew it would be something I’d remember forever.

We loaded into my car and headed out. A four-hour trip. My pocket full of money that Mom gave me to pay my tuition.

Long story short:

1). We stood about a thousand yards away.

2). Bruce and the E-Street Band were incredible.

3). We ordered Burger King on the way home and both fell asleep. One of us was driving at the time. (I only dozed! Didn’t crash anything).

4). We had this exchange at the border station coming back:

Agent: Where did you go in Canada?

Me: Toronto for the concert.

Agent: What concert?

Me: Bruuuuce!

Agent: Bruce who?

My Just Waking Up Idiot Roommate: Bruce who? Do you live under a rock?

Agent: Get out of the car! We have to search it.

We sat on the curb as they went through my vehicle. 

We were laughing.

About a month later, I sold my car radio so I could pay all my tuition.

Mom never knew that I paid part of it a little late.

What did you do on 07/26/84?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie