Brother, Can You Spare a Dime?

Another Dad in San Francisco story.

During the construction of the Hotel Meridien in downtown San Francisco I didn’t actually work for my Dad. 

My boss was Ralph. His son worked for my Dad.

Dad and Ralph were good buddies and unbeknownst today me or to Ralph’s son...

...they made a bet.

On which son could work more hours one week. Ralph called me into his office on Monday morning.

“Mandatory overtime this week,” he told me. “I need you to work from 6 to 6 each day, and don’t make plans for the weekend.”

That was great news for my wallet, but I was working hard every day. By Wednesday I was good and tired. On Saturday morning, I was a walking zombie.

That’s when me and Ralph’s son figured out that we were being used as pawns in the bet. 

I asked Dad about it.

“I have no idea what you’re talking about, but you’re working tomorrow, right?”

Sunday was double time.

At 5:30 in the morning we made the trip from Mill Valley.

“How much money do you have?” Dad asked.

“Nothing,” I said. “I didn’t even cash my check.”

He looked concerned.

“What?”

“I didn’t cash mine either,” he said.

“I can borrow money off Angelo when we get to work,” I said.

“If we get to work,” he said. “Gas tank is on E.”

He was actually coasting.

Didn’t work.

At about 5:50 in the morning Dad coasted to the side of the road.

“There’s a pay phone, go call Ralph,” Dad said.

“I need a dime.”

“You don’t have a dime?” He asked.

“Do you?”

We laughed.

“Look through the seats.”

I did.

Nothing!

“Go ask him if he has a dime,” Dad said. He was pointing at a homeless man.

We both laughed.

“I’m serious,” Dad said. “Tell him if he gives us a dime we’ll come back and give him $10.”

“No.”

Dad got out of the car.

“Chickenshit.”

I was rolling with laughter as he walked up to a homeless man and asked for a dime. That’s not the best part.

The man had one! Dad raised the dime high and headed to the pay phone.

15 minutes later, Ralph fished a ten dollar bill out of his wallet and handed it to the homeless man.

“Idiots,” Ralph said. “Together you earned more than five grand last week and you’re begging a homeless man for a dime.”

We definitely did.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie