Hammer πŸ”¨ In Hand


What an amazing man.

Jimmy Carter is 94 years old.

He broke his hip a little while ago...

...and now he’s back, building homes for the poor.

I had just turned 12 years old.

Jimmy Carter was running for President and I really, really wanted him to win.

My Mom & Dad voted Democrat all their lives.

I didn’t know that back then...

...I just really liked Jimmy Carter, and I really got into it.

I remember Carter being asked about what might happen if he lost.

“I don’t intend to lose,” he said.

And he didn’t.

I stayed up late to watch it.

And then his presidency happened, and he was churned up by the DC machine. There were long lines at gas stations. There was the Iran hostage crisis and a ill-conceived rescue attempt.

In the 1980 election, Jimmy lost.

But that’s when the real work began.

You know, it’s funny, but a whole bunch of people remember Carter as a peanut farmer. I read a social media thread that referred to him as ‘dumb.’

Actually, he was too smart to be president.

(We are getting a strong reminder that the president of the country isn’t always smart).

Habitat for Humanity is about helping people.

That is exactly what President Carter has been doing for the last 43 years.

Imagine that...

...a compassionate leader who cares for all people...

...white, yellow, black and brown.

Ninety-four years old.

Hammer in hand.

That’s how you make America great.

Amazing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie