Screen Time

The phone counts our steps.

Just gotta’ hit the little heart button.

I didn’t walk much this past week with class room time...

...which was rough.

But as I was driving home, I glanced at the phone which was on the seat beside me.

“You have 2 hours and 41 minutes of screen time today.”

Really?

It was 1:20 in the afternoon and I’d been up since 6:00.

So, I was on my phone for nearly 3 hours out of 7?

It even broke it down.

Twitter time.

Facebook time.

Reading newspapers.

Playing a game.

I’m not sure I really want to know how much time I’m wasting with this damn thing.

I’m one of the guys who remembers what life was like when we left our phone at home and didn’t think about it at all.

I recall waiting for the mail man to deliver me handwritten letters from the girl I liked.

I’d read a letter that she wrote 3 days earlier.

Hell, that first month of college was all about whether or not you got a letter in the mailbox.

When’s the last time you got a handwritten letter?

I often think about my Grandpa Clifford. He used to write a letter to my Grandmother every week and even though they lived in the same house, he’d put a stamp on an envelope and put the letter in the mail.

Just a card.

Something nice between a man and his wife.

Grandpa worked on the railroad, and in his garden.

I wonder what he’d think about screen time, or being reachable every minute of every day.

I don’t think that generation would even believe such a thing.

I’m hoping I’ll pick up the phone at the end of a hard-earned day...

...and see screen time:

0 hours and 4 minutes.

Sad.

I don’t think it’ll happen again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie