Long Live Rock

Mick Jagger is 75.

So is Keith Richards.

Pete Townsend and Roger Daltrey are more than 75 and so are Roger Waters and Paul McCartney.

Bob Seger too.

Billy Joel and Bruce are the babies of the group at 70 (Bruce turns 70 next month).

Tom Petty, & Prince & David Bowie are already gone.

Bob Dylan is 78. Van Morrison is 74.

They aren’t all going to live and make music into their 90’s.

And for me...

...there’s nobody coming behind them.

Long live rock???

Maybe not!

Now, of course, they’ll live on.

People will be playing those songs for another hundred years.

I heard a Bob Seger song, “You’ll Accompany Me.”

I knew every word and even the parts where Bob just kinda’ moans.

The song is nearly 40 years old.

Seger, The Who and the Stones are approaching the end of their touring days. I’ve always believed that Bruce would play until he dies on stage, but he’s slowed down too.

You just can’t run around and jump on the piano every night when you’re 70.

I was in the car of one of my buddies as he put in some tunes.

I’d never heard the song; not heard of the band.

“You don’t listen to anything new?” He asked.

“Nope. Nothing written by anyone who wasn’t already making music by 1980.”

He thought that was sad.

“You know what’s sad?” I asked.

He shrugged.

“All my favorites are old!”

And Jake sends me a decent rap song now and again.

“Not bad,” I’ll reply...

...but I don’t add it to my library.

Long Live Rock!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie